Textures and Colors
This tutorial is for a basic operation with textures. I have divided the whole texture tutorial in two: The basics of textures, and more advanced texture operations.
The Camera Tab
This tutorial requires a parameter file that you can download from here:ColorTutorial
- Use the Load Parameter Button to load the provided parameter file (any fractal can work for this tutorial, but the results can vary).
- Select the Camera Tab.
Changing the Light Direction
- Move the mouse over the Light Direction control with the left mouse button pressed, so the little yellow sphere will look like the image.
- Select the Render tab.
The Render Tab
- Press the Ambient button so it will bring the Texture Panel.
The Texture Panel
- The Material Selection arrows, for navigating on the material slots.
- The Ambient and Diffuse texture button, for enabling the Texture Panel.
- Texture Browser arrows, used for navigating over the texture library.
- Texture control buttons, for changing colors, importing gradients and importing external textures, also for closing or accepting the desired changes.
- The Ambient and Diffuse preview buttons. They show the active textures. The upper one show the active Ambient texture and the lower one shows the active Diffuse texture.
- Material Parameter control. This control is for changing several parameters of the textures. This also include a Reset button for turning back the changes. This control is not covered on this tutorial.
Changing the Ambient Texture
- Select the lower left (dark blue) texture from the Texture library.
- Press the Ok button to use it.
- The Ambient texture preview will be updated by the selected texture.
- In the Preview panel, you will see how the Ambient texture interacts with the actual Diffuse texture.
Changing the Diffuse Texture
- Press the Diffuse texture button.
- Use the texture library arrows to navigate on the library so until you find the beige colored texture that appears on the image.
- Select the texture.
- Press the Ok button.
- The Diffuse texture preview will be updated by the selected texture.
- In the Preview panel, you will see how the Diffuse texture interacts with the actual Ambient texture.